Philippine Churches

ILOILO: Jaro District, Iloilo City

On my second day in the island of Panay, I insisted to at least step on the nearby province of Iloilo, which is adjacent to Capiz. My attempt of visiting Miag-ao failed due to time constraint. Nevertheless, I decided to stay in Jaro instead. First on the list: The Jaro Cathedral, also known as the Shrine of Our lady of Candles. The church is originally under the patronage of St. Elizabeth of Hungary. 

\




In front of the church is a stair that leads to an enclosed image of Our lady of Candles. Many devotees come here and forget not to offer a prayer for their personal intentions



ight across the cathedral is its belfry. Unusual it is for me to see a church with its bell tower not adjacent to it. It was my first time to see such architecture in person and at first I wondered if it was another structure not akin to the church.



My visit to Iloilo won't be complete without tasting Lapaz Batchoy. This made me taste chicken liver without even noticing it. 





No comments: